The updated 2nd Edition of Residential Construction Academy: HVAC
This 2nd edition of the Residential Construction Academy: HVAC delivers a wealth of invaluable training materials that teach you the information you need to know through a hands-on practical approach. Based on NAHB/HBI Skill Standards developed by an advisory board of leading builders and educators, this full color, comprehensive text is intended for aspiring technicians and covers the installation, startup and service of residential air conditioning and heating systems.
The text provides both important theory as well as detailed explanations with how-to instructions, and contains many step by step procedures along with illustrations that provide further clarity and improve understanding of the information. The text covers a wide range of concepts and topics, including the installation, startup and service of residential air conditioning and heating systems, troubleshooting of common electrical and mechanical problems, the installation and service of oil, gas, electric and geothermal heating systems, and much more. 608 pp.
- Green Tip boxes and Green Checklists highlight tips and topics for you and your students on new “green” construction methods as they relate to HVAC.
- Presents strong theory in conjunction with a hands on practical approach using proven methods by HVAC professionals to get the job done right the first time, on time. Instructions contain step by step procedures with illustrations of the procedure side by side with the description, giving clarity to the instructions.
- Contains review questions at the end of each chapter, designed to reinforce the information learned in the chapter.
- Contains additional safety sections, new information on “green issues” and expanded information on system wiring and wiring diagrams including a new chapter on system testing and balancing.
New to this Edition:
- Green Tip boxes and Green Checklists highlight tips and topics for you and your students on new “green” construction methods.
- New textbook organization makes each individual section appropriate for a standalone course.
- A new Introduction chapter covers industry-related topics such as business practices, ethical and legal issues, career goals, customer service, and construction trends, as well as trade-specific career goals and career profiles of fellow professionals working in the field.
- A new feature called “What’s Wrong with this Picture?” highlights through a photos and descriptions the incorrect versus the correct way to execute basic tool use and illustrates how to avoid common mistakes.
- A new end-of-chapter feature called “Know Your Codes” is an application-based feature that prompts students to research their local and regional codes.
- New Content Includes: additional information on oxy/acetylene torches, brazing material types and application and expanded material on duct board air distribution and system tools; expanded information on system wiring and wiring diagrams including Chapter 19, which is a new chapter on system testing and balancing;
Table of Contents:
- 1. Matter, Energy and Heat Basics.
- 2. The Refrigeration Process.
- 3. General Safety Practices.
- 4. Refrigerant Management.
- 5. Hand Tools.
- 6. Tubing and Piping Tools.
- 7. Specialized HVAC/R Tools.
- 8. Location.
- 9. Duct Systems.
- 10. System Connections.
- 11. Leak Testing.
- 12. System Evacuation.
- 13. System Start-up and Charging.
- 14. Electric Fundamentals.
- 15. Electric Motors.
- 16. Electric Controls.
- 17. Wiring Diagrams.
- 18. Electric Codes.
- 19. Testing and Balancing.
- 20. Indoor Air Quality.
- 21. Mechanical Troubleshooting.
- 22. Electrical Troubleshooting.
- 23. Electric Heat.
- 24. Gas Heat.
- 25. Oil Heat.
- 26. Hydronic Heat.
- 27. Heat Pumps.