NFPA 72 National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code Handbook
Fast-track the process of getting up to date and in compliance with NFPA 72 using the leading resource for guidance on understanding and applying its requirements.
NFPA 72®, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code®, is the benchmark for fire alarm systems and mass notification systems (MNS) safety criteria. A broadly used and respected document, the National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code Handbook offers insight into the installation, inspection, testing, and maintenance of fire alarm systems, carbon monoxide detection and warning equipment, and emergency communication systems. The handbook includes explanations on how to comply with provisions and expands on criteria and new technology introduced since the previous edition.
This essential guide represents an excellent value used as a companion to NFPA 72 or to access complete code content alongside the NFPA® knowledge and commentary you won’t get with any other publication. The handbook is also the only printed product supporting the National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code that offers a Summary of Technical Changes outlining the revisions between the previous edition the 2022 edition.
Fully revised for compatibility with the 2022 edition of the code, the handbook provides content on significant revisions, including:
The NFPA 72 Handbook, 10th edition, 2022 provides the support to help you work accurately and efficiently.
- New Chapter 11 providing criteria on cybersecurity of fire alarm and signaling systems; and new Annex J, Guidelines for Cybersecurity
- Changes to requirements for pathway survivability for transmitting system information during fire conditions
- Updates to detector technologies and methods based on industry innovation and advancements
- New provisions for remote access to fire alarm and signaling systems to manage emergency control functions and coverage on remote access performing diagnostics and software updates
- Introduction of a color-coded tagging program for visual condition monitoring of alarms and signaling systems
- A shift in vocabulary and operation of detectors to guard against false triggering, and more
It’s critical that engineers, contractors, consultants, designers, architects, and AHJs operating in jurisdictions that use NFPA 72 or who need to have an understanding of how to apply its requirements have access to the most current knowledge and information. The handbook provides clarification of the code’s requirements and directions in implementing them in fire alarm design, installation, inspection, and maintenance in the office or out in the field.
Contributed by NFPA staff and recognized subject matter experts, the Handbook’s content incorporates exclusive learning aids and features, including:
Give yourself an operational edge with industry-leading knowledge of fire detection and fire alarm systems, signaling, emergency communications, and mass notification systems.
- Summary of Technical Changes - Information is presented in table format covering everything that changed from the 2019 edition to the 2022 edition. The Summary can also be used to quickly determine where in the code a change has occurred to help you understand and adjust to the updated requirements or go to the commentary in the handbook to learn more about the change.
- NFPA 72 Code - Full text of the code is included with change indicators so revisions between editions are clearly identified.
- Visual Aids - Hundreds of full-color photos, graphics, and detailed illustrations help to clarify concepts.
- Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs are called out with an icon and have been updated for the 2022 edition.
- Closer Look - Commentary for select instances delves deeper into a particular topic or explores the history of a requirement.
- System Design Tips - Callouts and icons indicate content as helpful or important to architects and engineers.