Get up to speed with the latest fire and life safety requirements with NFPA 1, Fire Code.
The hazards and challenges of preventing, preparing for, and fighting fire and related dangers are continually evolving. NFPA 1, Fire Code, 2021 edition, offers the most current and complete information for advancing public and first responder safety and reducing the loss of life and property.
Widely referenced throughout North America, this vital document is based on over 130 relevant NFPA® codes and standards. NFPA 1 offers a comprehensive, integrated approach to fire code regulation and hazard management, covering everything from fire alarms and sprinkler systems to building and process hazards and life safety issues.
The 2021 edition is revised to account for cutting-edge industry knowledge, practices, trends, and technologies.
- Inspection of permanent and temporary buildings, processes, equipment, systems, and other fire and related life safety situations
- Investigation of fires, explosions, hazardous materials incidents, and other related emergency incidents
- Review of construction plans, drawings, and specifications for life safety systems, fire protection systems, access, water supplies, processes, hazardous materials, and other related issues
- Fire and life safety education of fire brigades, employees, responsible parties, and the general public
- Existing occupancies and conditions, the design and construction of new buildings, remodeling of existing buildings, and additions to existing buildings
- Design, installation, alteration, modification, construction, maintenance, repairs, servicing, and testing of fire protection systems and equipment
- Installation, use, storage, and handling of medical gas systems
- Access requirements for fire department operations
- Hazards from outside fires in vegetation, trash, building debris, and other materials
- Regulation and control of special events including, but not limited to, the assemblage of people, exhibits, trade shows, amusement parks, haunted houses, outdoor events, and other similar special temporary and permanent occupancies
- Interior finish, decorations, furnishings, and other combustibles that contribute to fire spread, fire load, and smoke production
- Storage, use, processing, handling, and on-site transportation of flammable and combustible gases, liquids, and solids
- Storage, use, processing, handling, and on-site transportation of hazardous materials
- Control of emergency operations and scenes
- Conditions affecting firefighter safety
- Arrangement, design, construction, and alteration of new and existing means of egress
Fire marshals, code officials, inspectors, facility owners and managers, and others responsible for building and life safety rely on NFPA 1 to help eliminate risks and maintain compliance. The code features references and extracts from other NFPA documents such as NFPA 101®, Life Safety Code®; NFPA 72®, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code®; NFPA 54, National Fuel Gas Code, and many more.
Need-to-know changes for the 2021 edition include:
Help ensure you are prepared for the risks and challenges of modern fire protection and safety and ready to comply when the 2021 edition of NFPA 1 is used in your area.
- Updates to in-building emergency responder communication enhancement system requirements for better alignment with NFPA 1221, Standard for the Installation, Maintenance, and Use of Emergency Services Communications Systems
- New signage requirements for non-sprinklered high-rise buildings
- Inclusion of provisions for carbon dioxide enrichment equipment, indoor horticultural grow structures, and listing requirements for extraction equipment as they relate to cannabis facilities in Chapter 38
- Added chapter on wastewater treatment and collection facilities in Chapter 39
- A new chapter on additive manufacturing (3D printing) in Chapter 46
- Energy storage system requirements extracted from NFPA 855, Standard for the Installation of Stationary Energy Storage Systems, in Chapter 52
- Updates of all extracts through the Annual 2020 revision cycle
This document is a vital resource for establishing more effective fire code regulation and hazard management in state, county, and local jurisdictions. Make sure you access the best information by ordering your copy of NFPA 1, Fire Code, 2021 edition.
©2020 NFPA. Cover image reproduced with permission.