The Guidebook for Linemen and Cablemen, 2nd Edition
The updated 2nd Edition of The Guidebook for Linemen and Cablemen
The Guidebook for Linemen and Cablemen, 2nd Edition is a much-needed solution to a gap that is experienced by instructors when preparing students for work on electrical utility circuits. This book will give your students what other resources won’t. Our text is packaged as a convenient, single-volume reference guide on the operation of electrical utility systems. Practical coverage of the equipment and situations that powerline workers are exposed to on a daily basis, this book comes with a focus on ensuring concepts that are meaningful and applicable. This book also pays special attention to the order in which topics are addressed. Simple concepts are explained first and then the book builds upon these fundamentals to explain more complex theories. This sets a strong foundation for clearly understanding key rules and regulations. This text has been updated to include the most current industry information available, including applications of recent technology. This book also contains in-depth exploration of the mechanical aspects of the job, such as working with trucks, stringing wire, rigging, and tree felling. The need for safety and training is highlighted throughout the book, giving every student a powerful guide to learning the skills to operate, construct, and maintain the lines and cables in an electrical utility system. 816 pp.
- Highlights key concepts with ample illustrations that provide clear examples of technical procedures for better understanding and retention.
- Emphasizes safety and efficiency by taking a risk management approach that focuses on minimizing the risk of field injuries and meeting important safety regulations.
- Ensures the most credible, reliable, and relevant information available with an author that has many years of experience as a lineman, writing in a language that will appeal to students training to be linemen and related professionals.
- Doubles as a valuable field guide with easy-to-reference tables and charts throughout the text and in the Appendix.
New to this Edition:
- Many new images and illustrations added to reflect changes in the industry.
- Terminology has been updated to accurately reflect market and changes in the industry.
- Appendix added to provide an easy reference for essential charts, tables, and formulas.
- Glossary terms are bold when they appear in text so that readers can identify “need-to-know” terms.
- Completely overhauled art program: illustrations are dimensional and colorized, photographs have been updated.
- New, dynamic, full-color text design.
- New glossary.
- Text has been thoroughly reviewed and revised by author and team of reviewers, and includes over 200 pages of brand new content
- New examples, text boxes and end-of-chapter review questions.
Table of Contents:
- 1. Essentials for powerline workers.
- 2. Electrical units.
- 3. Electrical power system overview.
- 4. Substations.
- 5. Alernating currents.
- 6. Three-phase circuits.
- 7. Awareness in an electrical environment.
- 8. Constructing overhead powerlines.
- 9. Constructing underground powerlines.
- 10. Working with conductors and cables.
- 11. Operating switch gear.
- 12. Circuit protection.
- 13. Installing grounds.
- 14. Transformers.
- 15. Supplying quality power.
- 16. Working with aerial devices.
- 17. Rigging in powerline work.
- 18. Working it hot.
- 19. Outdoor lighting.
- 20. Revenue metering.
- 21. Tree work.