Includes an extensive collection of vivid illustrations and images helps bring key concepts to life
Green Building: Principles and Practices in Residential Construction provides a current, comprehensive guide to this exciting, emerging field. From core concepts to innovative applications of cutting-edge technology and the latest industry trends, this text offers an in-depth introduction to the construction of “green” homes. Unlike many texts that adopt a product-oriented approach, this book emphasizes the crucial planning, processes, and execution methods necessary for effective, environmentally sound construction. This text demonstrates that Earth-friendly products and energy-efficient materials take planning in order to make a building truly green. This visionary text helps students and professionals develop the knowledge and skills to “think green” from start to finish, empowering and inspiring them to build truly sustainable homes. 608 pp.
- Includes extensive examples of the way green building principles are applied in the construction of actual homes, as well as profiles and interviews featuring active industry professionals.
- Offers a practical guide to the application of green building principles by following a natural construction sequence beginning with initial planning and proceeds to cover structural considerations, mechanical systems, and exterior and interior finishes.
- An extensive collection of vivid illustrations and images helps bring key concepts to life, enabling readers to master even difficult material more Icons highlighting core principles are located at the beginning of each chapter to serve as a reminder of what the principles are and present an efficient way to note the green practices covered in a particular chapter.
Table of Contents:
- 1. Green Building: An Overview.
- 2. The House as a System.
- 3. Planning for Green from the Start.
- 4. Insulation and Air Sealing.
- 5. Foundations.
- 6. Floors and Walls.
- 7. Roofs and Attics.
- 8. Fenestration.
- 9. Exterior Wall Finishes.
- 10. Outdoor Living Spaces.
- 11. Landscaping.
- 12. Interior Finishes.
- 13. HVAC.
- 14. Electrical.
- 15. Plumbing.
- 16. Renewable Energy.