Stay up to code with the newly updated ASTM D2513 - 08b
This specification covers all of the requirements and testing methods for dimensions, materials, hydrostatic burst strength, chemical resistance, tensile strength, sustained pressure, impact resistance of plastic piping, heat fusion, tubing and fittings used for the direct burial and realigning applications associated with fuel gas mains and the services for the distribution of natural gas. The specification does not cover threaded pipe. The plastic used to make pipes and pipe fittings should be virgin plastic or reworked plastic through the Plastics Pipe Institute long-term hydrostatic design stress and hydrostatic designed basis rating. The specification covers requirements and test methods including polyethylene types, vinyl chloride pipes and fittings for maintenance or repair, in-plant quality control for all materials up to 12 inches, in-plant quality control for PE materials between 14 and 24 inches in polyamide pipes and fittings. The specification also covers new materials, design consideration, gas pressure pipe and fittings produced from polyethylene materials and the minimum required strength designation for the systems.
- 1.1 This specification covers requirements and test methods for material (see Appendix X1) dimensions and tolerances, hydrostatic burst strength, chemical resistance, and impact resistance of plastic pipe, tubing, and fittings for use in fuel gas mains and services for direct burial and reliner applications. The annexes provide specific requirements and test methods for each of the materials currently approved. If and when additional materials are available, specific annex requirements will be added. The pipe and fittings covered by this specification are intended for use in the distribution of natural gas. Requirements for the qualifying of polyethylene systems for use with liquefied petroleum gas are covered in Annex A1.
- 1.1.1 This specification does not cover threaded pipe. Design considerations are discussed in Appendix X2. In-plant quality control programs are specified in Annex A3 and Annex A4.
- 1.2 The text of this specification references notes, footnotes, and appendixes which provide explanatory material. These notes and footnotes (excluding those in tables and figures) shall not be considered as requirements of the specification.
- 1.3 The values stated in inch-pound units are to be regarded as standard. The values given in parentheses are mathematical conversions to SI units that are provided for information only and are not considered standard.
- 1.4 The following is an index of the annexes and appendixes in this specification:
Annex Subject Annex A1 Polyethylene (PE) Pipe and Fittings Annex A2 Poly (Vinyl Chloride) (PVC) Pipe and Fittings for Maintenance or Repair Annex A3 In-Plant Quality Control for all materials up to 12 in. Annex A4 In-Plant Quality Control for PE materials between 14 and 24 in. Annex A5 Polyamide (PA) Pipe and Fittings Annex A6 Crosslinked Polyethylene (PEX) Pipe Annex A7 Peelable PE Pipe Appendixes Subject Appendix X1 New Materials Appendix X2 Design Consideration Appendix X3 Gas Pressure Pipe and Fittings Produced from Polyethylene (PE) materials with Minimum Required Strength (MRS) Designation
- 1.5 The following precautionary caveat pertains only to the test method portion, Section 6, of this specification. This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.