The updated 2008 Edition of the ASTM C754 - 08 Standard Specification for Installation of Steel Framing Members to Receive Screw-Attached Gypsum Panel Products
This specification covers all of the minimum requirements for the installation of interior nonstructural steel framing and furring members that are designed to receive screw-attached gypsum panel products. The details of construction for a specific assembly to achieve the required fire resistance shall be obtained from reports of engineering evaluations, fire-resistance tests, or listings from recognized fire testing laboratories. Each element of the assembly, that are, the runners, studs, tie wires, hanger wires, rigid furring channels, grid suspension systems (consisting of the main beam, cross furring members, and rod and flat hangers) shall be manufactured in the specified dimensions. Specified installation procedures for the metal framing, which includes the chase wall partitions, rigid furring channels, runners, studs, wall furring-bracket systems, and soffits, are detailed thoroughly. Installation requirements for the furred and suspended ceilings, including the main runners, inserts and flat hangers, wood constructions, furring members, rigid furring channels, and grid suspension systems, are discussed methodically as well. 11 pp.
- 1.1 This specification covers the minimum requirements for the installation of interior nonstructural steel framing and furring members designed to receive screw-attached gypsum panel products. The steel framing and furring members covered in this specification are limited to those complying with Specification C 645.
- 1.2 Details of construction for a specific assembly to achieve the required fire resistance shall be obtained from reports of fire-resistance tests, engineering evaluations, or listings from recognized fire testing laboratories.
- 1.3 The values stated in inch-pound units are to be regarded as standard. The values given in parentheses are mathematical conversions to SI units that are provided for information only and are not considered standard.
2. Referenced Documents
- A653/A653M Specification for Steel Sheet, Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) or Zinc-Iron Alloy-Coated (Galvannealed) by the Hot-Dip Process
- C11 Terminology Relating to Gypsum and Related Building Materials and Systems
- A336/A336M Specification for Alloy Steel Forgings for Pressure and High-Temperature Parts
- A641/A641M Specification for Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) Carbon Steel Wire
- C840 Specification for Application and Finishing of Gypsum Board
- C645 Specification for Nonstructural Steel Framing Members
- ICC-ES-AC86 Acceptance Criteria for Steel Studs and Gypsum-Board Interior Nonload-Bearing Walls-Complete Construction-AC86-Approved July 1995 (Editorially revised September 2005) (Formerly ICBO AC86 dated July 1995)