2021 International Residential Code Softcover Edition
This 2021 International Residential Code comprises all building, plumbing, mechanical, fuel gas and electrical requirements for one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses up to three stories.
The new 2021 Edition of the IRC contains many important changes including new design requirements for storm shelters ...: new guardrail, footing and post height requirements for decks ... new testing requirements for DWV systems ... updated tables for component and cladding wind pressures for hip or gable roof profiles and much more. Other changes include:
- Braced wall lines must be placed on a physical wall or placed between multiple walls.
- The rated separation for two-family dwellings is 1 hour whether or not a lot line exists between units.
- Emergency escape and rescue openings require a clear 36-inch-wide path to a public way.
- A habitable attic is limited to one-half the area of the story below and the dwelling requires sprinklers.
- Updated Wind Speed maps match IBC and ASCE 7 maps.
- Minimum footing size tables are revised to more accurately reflect current practice.
- Cripple wall requirements apply only to exterior cripple walls.
- A 30 percent reduction of airflow is permitted for balanced ventilation systems
- An emergency service disconnect is required in a readily accessible outdoor location.
- A surge-protective device (SPD) is now required at the service panel.
What’s more New appendices for cob construction and 3D printed construction are added, dwelling sprinklers requirements have been expanded to more closely align with NFPA 13D, and several new requirements for GFCI protection.
Many state and local agencies will soon be adopting the 2021 IRC. Be prepared and order your copy today.