Repair, alter, or add-on to existing buildings with this code!
Introducing the 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC) from the International Code Council!
The 2018 IEBC is the code for you to alter, repair, or add on to existing buildings.
Table of Contents
Effective Use of the International Existing Building Code
Scope and Administration
Provisions for all Compliance Methods
Prescriptive Compliance Method
Classification of Work
Alterations — Level 1
Alterations — Level 2
Alterations — Level 3
Change of Occupancy
Relocated or Moved Buildings
Performance Compliance Methods
Also included are various appendixes for your guidance, including:
- Guidelines for the Seismic Retrofit of Existing Buildings
- Supplementary Accessibility Requirements for Existing Buildings and Facilities
- Guidelines for the Wind Retrofit of Existing Buildings
There are several changes that happened in this fully up-to-date 2018 edition. These changes include:
- Snow, wind and seismic loads must now be inspected for buildings undergoing a change of occupancy.
- The Prescriptive Method Additions now have Carbon Monoxide provisions. This also applies to Alternations Level 2 Additions and in the Additions fro I-1, I-2, I-4, and R Occupancies.
- Modifications have been made to single exit buildings and spaces under Alteration Levels 2 and 3
- An exception was added for existing structural elements to be loaded next to an addition in buildings designed by the International Residential Code
- Work areas that include more than half the building in an alteration much have wall anchors installed at the roof line along masonry walls and reinforced concrete.
- And much, much more!
Adoption of the International Existing Building Code:
The IEBC is in use or adopted in 40 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
Buy your copy of the 2018 International Existing Building Code today!
If you would like to purchase the loose leaf version of this code then click here.